Why Do I Hate My Pharmaceutical Sales Rep Job?

Previously we've looked into what is it like to be a pharmaceutical sales rep. You've discovered different phases that reps go through as they take on the job. Having this knowledge allow you to anticipate, and perhaps imagine your schedule if you're interested in joining Pharma Industry.

But a caveat ...

It is not always bright and shiny in this career. At one point or another, you probably ask, “Why do I hate my pharmaceutical sales rep job?” and that might happen when you least expected it. It is not uncommon to ask such a question many times after you’ve been spending considerable time on the job, and it might be more common when you started out. Why?

To be able to answer this question, I have to relive the unpleasant experiences that I have endured during my working years. I’m very much preferred to avoid this unless I was put on the psychiatry’s or counselor’s bed for a counseling session!

But if it will help others in any way, I don’t see why not.

I had a lot to say about the things I hate this job for, but I probably zoom into the main ones that shape my beliefs right until now. And on top of the list is…



Bad Boss

Trust me; this has caused more heartbreaks, frustration, and anger than any other reasons combined. It was made worse because every time it happens, the reps are powerless to go against the tide, so to speak. What they do as act to protest could backfire and come haunting them back.

I remember at one time when I successfully settle a dispute between one of my team members and another colleague from a different division. We agreed on specific terms and all look good, until the day of my appraisal.

My boss told me that many top level management are dissatisfied with the way I handle the crisis, and for that, I was put under ‘performance management process’ (PMP)!

I almost freak out in disbelief, but after I collect my calm and composure, I started to look into the matter seriously. I get advice from others but looking back right now, that was probably not the best thing to do because I would not know if they conspire with each other.

At one time, I set out to confirm my curiosity that my boss actually hates me, and I test it using the company’s own feedback process, called the 360 feedback.

And as I expected, out of 28 respondents, I get feedback from, only one person sticks out like a sore thumb in giving me low score, in all competencies areas. That person is my boss! Put in mind that the company requires at least 6 people to get feedback from.

I just want to reduce the error since I understand the statistic, unlike you know who…

I compare that with the last company I joined, a Diagnostic company, and my immediate manager was superb. She, yes, a lady this time, was accommodating and supportive, which is what a good boss supposed to be.

Now, the diagnostic company was lacking in its training structure, like there was no module for mentoring and coaching, but it does not stop the boss from behaving in a conventional sense manner. Indeed, managing people is common sense, and it boils down to a single critical factor: attitude.

When a person is full of hatred and jealousy, it is not difficult to see how that will translate into every action.

Bad Politics

You would not believe if I told you that in a typical pharmaceutical company, there are more politicians, in percentage, compared to a ruling party of a country. Look, there are only a handful of seats in the parliament to represent millions of people, but in a company with 100 employees or less, you can see politicians every step of the rank ladder.

And how many ladders are there in a company? Two or three, top.

When people become ambitious to climb the ladder, they use their ‘WIT’; whatever it takes, to get to it, and that includes stepping on other people heads, shoulders and back. In some cases, they backstab!

These people enjoy the power and reward that comes with certain positions and have no interest in others’ affair. ‘Everyone for themselves’ is the motto they live by.

And ‘karma’ probably takes too long to come by…

When the experts of management lament that fish rots from the head, I got a feeling that they actually approved this, rather than promoting change to be made to rectify the situation.

The natural effect from having such person on top is it tends to attract the same flock, and without realizing there is going to be too many politicians, with different agenda, congregate at the same place.

Their main activity is revolving around pleasing each other. Phrases like, “Oh, you know, the other day, your idea was really superb. Who would have thought about it other than you?”

During the company’s meeting, these people were applauded and congratulate like nobody’s business, and it is clearly apparent that the company might go bonkers if not because of them.

Look at what politicians have done to the country, and you can imagine what the same people of similar caliber can do to a pharmaceutical company.

The bad news is, if you did not take a side, you are seen as against them. You’ll be put under watchful eyes, which many trolls will do voluntarily, and your every action will be doubted.

Many think that it is smart to play along and survive the game and standing on your right is plain stupidity, but that’s a call only you can make. And that is why I hate my pharmaceutical sales rep job.

Bad Customers

If you think customers are always right, think again.

You see, customers are also human beings, and no human being is perfect. Are you saying your customers are excellent? If that so, I assume that they are not humans. They probably are machines or programs that have been tuned for perfection.

In the pharmaceutical industry, there is a slim chance that you are not dealing with a human.

Why are say there are wrong customers?

These customers are often time opportunist. They probably know that the company needs them and they want to play their cards right.

For example, I remember a customer from my diagnostic selling days, who ask for a favor before he installs our company’s analyzer. He wants cash, and he instructs us how we can do that, legally, through the purchase agreement.

I walk away from that transaction and kiss the opportunity ‘bye-bye.’ There is less and less opportunity for our company to enter the institution, but for those companies that do come, I make no excuses to think less of them until the day when that person was no longer in charge.

I probably want to continue with more accounts on experiences that cause me to hate my pharmaceutical sales rep job, but as I mentioned earlier, these are the main ones that shaped my beliefs right until now about what’s possible in this industry.

5 comments:

  1. Your English is horrible! Next time, use a spelling and grammar check program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there,

      I'm all ears for feedback, and I appreciate you taking the time to point this out. I aim to provide top-notch content, and your comment tells me there's room for improvement.

      My sincere apologies if my English fell short this time around.

      Your suggestion of using a spelling and grammar check program is a good one, and I'll make sure to incorporate that in my process moving forward.

      Here's to better, more grammatically sound interactions in the future.

      Thanks again for your candor.

      Keep the feedback coming ..

      Delete
  2. Hmm....I think I like you already ;-)

    Spelling & grammar check program ey?

    Well, I'll think about it...

    Thanks for stopping by & interacting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This suddenly attract lots of attention from LinkedIn yesterday. No clues...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But if you're looking for clues to close more sales using LinkedIn just click that link for clues...

      Delete