Know These Things About Careers in Pharmaceutical Sales And Stay Ahead Of Others


Obviously, pharmaceutical rep is not the only available career in Pharma industry. For those outside the industry, the pharma sales rep is all they can think about. That's understandable since the sales rep often occupies most of the pharma company's office space.

But there's more ...

And today, in this post, you're going to discover more than just sales job when you get into pharma sales. That means, if you have a competency that compliments a job function for the sales department in a Pharmaceutical company, you can give a shot at it.

What are they?

Before we answer that, let us get to know what it means to have a career in Pharma Sales:


Pharmaceutical Sales Career – Simple Definition

Let me just bring you back to the time when I start this career and see whether you can spot the concept.

It was 1998 when I joined a European Pharmaceutical Company. The company promotes ranges of products from consumer health to prescription items. I was assigned to a sales group which was responsible for developing antibiotics, antidepressive and Central Nervous System (CNS) products range.

My area of coverage was the East Coast…

I was responsible for both market segments namely: Government and Private sectors so my customers were mainly Departments in that sector which dispense my range of products. Both industries have a different code of practices and a multitude of buyers’ behaviors.

Basically what I did is, I follow the company’s quarterly marketing strategies and implement them in my area. The procedure were developed by the Marketing Team, headed by the Product Manager, and was cascaded during the quarterly meeting (it is bi-annual meeting right now).

An example of the activity which I did last time is running a video screening to the Medical Department on a specific topic related to my product. I remember my first ever video screening was about the active ingredients for our Anti-Parkison drug – how it works, what is the effect, etc.

But the most critical activity is actually making 8 doctors’ call plus 2 pharmacist call daily…

That is all I did for the next 8 years or so before I got promoted in a different pharmaceutical company, and my career took a different turn from there on. That is how I personally build careers in pharmaceutical sales, and it is about the same with countless others, and I hope I had made this clear. Rather than spelling you what these careers entail, I just walk you through them.

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Careers – Most People Begin Here

As I clearly illustrated, that is where I began my career. I know of a few friends who got in through different channels for example as Marketing Executive, Regulatory Affair, Research and Development, Consumer Healthcare, etc. but in most cases, the entry point is a sales rep.

Pharmaceutical Careers Sales Manager – Reserved for Selected Few

They invent the saying, “Too many cooks spoil the soup” for a reason, and that is why you see only a specially selected few people got to the managerial posts. I do not try to imply that it is impossible, it is probable but not usual.

What usually happens is you work for a few years, gather enough experience, and you start looking around for better offers.

Pharmaceutical Company Careers – It is Normal to be In More Than One Company

I have been in 3 in a span of fewer than 12 years. There are many reasons for this to happen, but the most common which I am pretty sure of is a better offer. It could be a better salary, better perks, better incentives, and better bosses.

Yup, bosses are that important…

The thing to remember when building careers in different pharmaceutical companies are to make sure your next choice has added values and distinct advantages over the previous one. There is no point in getting to various companies that have similar offers.

And do not make the mistake of changing company because you hate your boss to the gut, unless you get your all your bases cover.

Enough Training and Skills – Important Ingredients of Career Success

I once heard a trainer said, “Which is the bigger dilemma – you train your people, and they leave OR you don’t train them, and they stay?”

Think about that…

Many people who are building their pharmaceutical sales career dream of moving up the corporate staircase. I will be lying if I said I never plan to be a sales manager one day or Group Sales Manager or National Sales Manager and why not Sales Director but that can only be achieved if I had given myself enough time and I have had enough knowledge.

I said ‘enough’ because I cannot possibly ‘have all’…

Is This Career For You?

You know ‘you’ the best. I have come across a quick personality test for example as outlined in Discover Your Sales Strength to determine whether your personality can fit into a sales job and if you can, which sales function is for you.

But a test is just that…test.

I have come to a realization that money is not ‘be all, end all’ purpose to build careers in pharmaceutical sales. There are more than just products and figures. I realized now that this journey had made me a different person which I would not have known if not for what I have gone through.

No comments:

Post a Comment