This Is What You Missed If You Train Without A Proper Sales Training Structure.


In the previous post, you've already known (and tried out) six training tips that make you more productive

Even though those tips aim specifically at diagnostic pharma, they're not far off from drug/medicines/pharma sales. 

They're like a cousin. 

You can't go wrong if you were to apply them.

But let us just get it on with our subject here:

Let us just say you've joined a Pharma company and you’re about to be trained

What can you expect from pharma sales training? 

My recent experience with this new Diagnostic Pharmaceutical Company training was far from encouraging and it’s due to only one reason: the absence of training structure.

Why Pharma companies tend to avoid having a structure for training?


I've asked this question to my manager. 

I came from a company that's proud to be a champion in the personal training arena. 

In fact, it has a training department with the most significant number of trainers compared to other pharmaceutical companies. 

Since my current company is the top player in the local diagnostic market, I assumed that the training was nothing less than my previous company.

But I was wrong:

My first two days of initial training were filled with activities with no clear objectives to help me kick-off my role.

The HR Executive showed me some slides of the company’s history, mission, vision, perks, and so on.

After my lunch on the same day, I was asked to join 3 other colleagues for a field visit.

That’s day one ...

On day two, I sat through the day with heaps of brochures and a crash course on essential computer operation. 

That concludes my two days of initial training.

What did I get out of all these?

Very little or minimal objectives achieved that contributed towards fulfilling my job roles if there were any objectives, to begin with. 

If there were clear and well-planned objectives layout, meaningful actions could be taken to meet them.

That reminds me of the story of Alice who travels in Wonderland. 

One day she asked Humpty: 

Which way should I go?

“Where are you going?” asked Humpty.

“I don’t know,” said Alice.

“Then, it doesn’t matter which way you take!” replied Humpty.

In those two days, I admit that I had no idea what I’m supposed to achieve with reading brochures, getting acquainted with the e-mail system, and following my 3 colleagues out to the field.

How to improve on this?


I simply could not provide the answer in this short article, but generally, we could do these:

What – what are the roles and goals for my current job.

Who – who are the persons that could provide me with the relevant resources while I carry out my job function.

Where – where I can get the resources or support to facilitate my job.

Then – when I need to do ‘what’ and…

How – how to do them.


A more specific and precise course of action is expected especially from the top and seasoned industry player

Anything less is just annoying.

At least it is for me ...

2 comments:

  1. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there!

    Thanks for the kind words. Glad that you find this blog interesting and helpful.

    Looking forward to enjoy your blog too :)

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete